Saturday, April 2, 2011

April 2 Block

Thirteen things I've learned in the first 90 days of this project:

1.    Setting a requirement of every single day works.  I wasn't sure it would, but it does.
2.    Three inches is not very much space within which to work.
3.    Fat quarters are the perfect fabric size to buy for this project.  (For non-quilters, a fat quarter is a half yard cut in half or 18 x 22, as opposed to a skinny quarter which is 9 x 44. Many people, like myself, find it a more useful size.)
4.    I don't need a fancier sewing machine, and believe me there are some fancy ones out there.  My little Janome is just great.
5.    Still don't use a lot of stripes, but I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting ones.
6.    Fabrics I never would have looked at twice before I started this every-single-day-a-new-quilt-block thing, make some of the best blocks.  It's clearly good to stretch beyond my own self imposed taste rules.
7.    Not paying attention to the square before or the square that comes after is good.  Just go with today.
8.    I will probably never be an heirloom quilter, but that doesn't matter because I'm having fun.
9.    Some days I really have to toss something together before bedtime and just not worry about it.
10.  Getting out of my own way is a very good idea.
11.  Color doesn't matter.  Everything goes with everything else one way or another.
12.  The same thing with pattern.  It all works in its own way.
13.  A lot can happen in 90 days:  new governor (look where that's gone/is going), new department (still evolving), new diagnosis (Grandma is doing okay for now), and new project that has gotten me into the studio every single day.

Today's block is a little "hankie pankie" from some estate sale handkerchiefs that still have a lingering whiff of their owner's cologne.  I'm old enough to actually remember women spraying a bit of scent on their hankie and tucking it in their handbag.... M

No comments:

Post a Comment