Friday, June 3, 2011

June 3 Block

My youngest brother has a new job teaching at St. Johns University Law School in Queens, NY.  My mother, who is visually challenged due to macular degeneration and cataracts, is having a very hard time figuring out just where Queens is in relation to New York (by which she means Manhattan, I'm guessing). 

We found a fold out map of the five boroughs on Amazon and had it sent here.  I spent a couple of hours with a magnifying glass and brightly colored, numbered stickers marking Jeff's apartment, the University, the airports, Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, etc.  Basically, anything she might have heard of ever to give her some perspective on where Jeff and Kathy will be living and working.  Apparently the boundary between Queens and Brooklyn is not a clear cut line.  There was much discussion and nothing particularly definitive on the Internet.  From what I read, even the Post Office is a little fuzzy on this one.  I'll mail off the map to my mom in the morning.

So after lots of teeny, tiny little street lines, this seemed an appropriate quilt square.... Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment