Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February 16 Block

It feels like a great dark wedge is being driven through the heart of Wisconsin, our beautiful, kind, neighborly state.  There are protesters sleeping in the Capitol, students walking out of classes, politicians refusing to speak with their opponents.  It is truly heartbreaking.

Complete disclosure:  Through the University of Wisconsin, I am a state employee.  My job is a lower rung, office support position, so I will be greatly affected by the legislation before the Wisconsin State Assembly.  I am not, however, a single parent struggling to raise my children.  These are the people for whom I am most concerned.

There is so much anger and fear, you could cut the air with a knife.  I am mostly saddened by the complete lack of common civility, the utter denial of dialogue, and the total disregard, once again, for the people who are struggling to feed their families and to keep health care coverage for them.  The economic mess was not the doing of the average worker, but it is the most vulnerable who will again pay the price for the mistakes of politicians and business leaders over the past decades (Republicans and Democrats alike).  And I fear the agendas at work here have very little to do with the welfare of the people of Wisconsin and everything to do with the national political ambitions of those involved.... Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment